Sunday school teachers are a special group of people! They regularly sacrifice time, money, and resources to spend a brief hour each week offering spiritual training to our children, youth, and adults. The thank yous are rare, the rewards often put on hold until arriving in Heaven, and the heartaches are many. Some students are like sponges, absorbing every word, every nuance, and every attitude the teacher shares. Others are critical, troublemakers, clowns-searching for they know not what, only knowing that negative actions garner the most attention.
Not all pastors have caught the vision of Sunday school and the impact that teachers have on students. Sunday school teachers are not baby sitters, but are faithful, God-conscious followers of the Master Teacher, Jesus! Their desire is to impact lives, to empower others, and to see God transform lives! To effectively do this, they need physical and moral support from the church staff, financial blessings, teacher-training opportunities, and strength and wisdom from God. They need us to intercede on their behalf! Will you stand in the gap for Sunday school teachers?
- Pray that pastors will have a vision of the power of Sunday school for children, youth, and adults.
- Pray that teachers will not teach out of duty, but out of love for God and His children.
- Pray that teachers will seek the mind of Christ (Philippians 2:5).
- Pray that pastors will offer teacher-training opportunities to help their teachers improve their abilities and talents.
- Pray that our Apostolic curriculum will be impactful and inspirational as it reaches children, youth, and adults around the world.
- Pray for the students of every classroom, for they come from every walk of life, each with his or her personal issues and problems, each needing a relationship with Jesus.
- Pray for the parents to realize that they are their children's primary teachers, for spiritual training begins at home and should not be solely left to one hour each week in a classroom.
- Pray that others will catch the vision of the Master Teacher, Jesus-a vision to seek and to save the lost-and join the ranks of Sunday school teachers.
Joni Owens (Teacher)
Kindergarten and Beginner Curriculum Editor
Word Aflame Publications