What role do I play in the body? "For as the body is one, and hath many members, and all the members of that one body, being many, are one body: so also is Christ...For the body is not one member, but many. If the foot shall say, Because I am not the hand, I am not of the body; is it therefore not of the body?" (I Corinthians 12:12, 14-15) Praying for each body part to be fully functioning is critical for the ultimate success of the body of Christ. For this discourse let's look at one member of the natural body that is least mentioned: the thyroid gland.
"The thyroid is...a small butterfly shaped gland...located in the front of the neck below the voice box. This gland produces a hormone. This hormone helps regulate growth, metabolism and energy levels...Thyroid problems are common. But most of the time symptoms will appear gradually over time. The three most common thyroid problems are: under-active thyroid, overactive thyroid and thyroid nodules...The under-active thyroid is also called Hypothyroidism. In this condition, the body's immune system mistakenly attacks the thyroid gland...Symptoms of Hypothyroidism can be any of the following or the combination of the following: Fatigue or lack of energy, weight gain, feeling cold...slowed thinking, etc...Over-active thyroid is also called hyperthyroidism (Grave's disease.) Symptoms of an over-active thyroid can be...nervousness, rapid heartbeat, feeling hot, weight loss, fatigue, etc...One also may have eye problems such as irritation, double vision, etc,...Thyroid nodules are...common and are usually harmless." (Excepts from Linda M. McCloud on Health & Wellness)
Why is this piece on the thyroid gland so important in the larger schemes of the body's/church's functionality? It is quite simple. If the church cannot get up and go, growth will be stymied by poor metabolism. At this juncture the advice is for church to see The Chief Endocrinologist - Jesus Christ, the Great Physician...then it will be on its way to better health. Let's pray that the body of Christ be introspective. Many times the body is suffering from spiritual fatigue, spiritual anemia, and many spiritual bombardments of the mind that slow its thinking by enemy. Poor thyroid health affects reproduction also. We must ask the Lord to heal...So let's pray these scriptures over the body, as they act as a medication to the soul of the body:
- Psalm 43:5 "Why art thou cast down, O my soul?...hope in God: for I shall yet praise him, who is the health of my countenance, and my God."
- Psalm 19:12-14 "...cleanse thou me...Let the words of my mouth, and the meditation of my heart, be acceptable in thy sight, O Lord, my strength, and my redeemer.
- Psalm 51:6-10 "Behold, thou desirest truth in the inward parts...Purge me...and blot out all mine iniquities. Create in me a clean heart, O God; and renew a right spirit within me."
- Jeremiah 17:14 "Heal me, O Lord, and I shall be healed; save me, and I shall be saved"
- Exodus 15:26 "If thou wilt diligently hearken to the voice of the Lord...and wilt do... right...I will put none of these diseases upon thee...for I am the Lord that healeth thee."
Pray against all diseases that would affect the natural body that they won't affect the body of Christ, spiritually. Lack of knowledge will render the body of Christ useless, by hindering the fruit of the Spirit, the gifts of the Spirit, and the five-fold ministry to be fully operational, and to have the effect the Lord intended in John 10:10 "The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly."
New York Metro District Prayer Coordinator